Friday, March 15, 2013

Luxembourg American Cemetary and Memorial


As I exit the bus, I am immediately hit in the face by the coldness in the air. The coldness doesn’t only come from the bitter temperatures of old man winter, but I am also reminded of the human cost of over 5076 American Military who died mostly in the Battle of the Bulge, including one female Army Nurse and George S. Patton Commander of the third US army.

Sadness fills the air as I approach the gates to the Luxemburg American Cemetery. As I look out into the distance my heart remains heavy as I am confronted with snow capped headstones representing those who made the ultimate sacrifice and reminded of those families who suffered a tragic loss. Twenty-two pairs of brothers are buried here and I can only think about how heart-broken and suffering of their families.


Not far from the cemetery stands the stone white chapel, bordering the chapel are two massive monuments made of granite the pay tribute to the achievements of the American armed forces that traveled the area.  On the same monuments, the tablet of the missing are inscribed the names of the 371 missing in action.
 


I am humbled that I had the opportunity to honor fellow American Military Service Members.  Help their memory to live by paying a visit to one of our American Cemetery Memorials.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment